The Rockport Journal, May 25, 1951

Article was typed as it was worded in the newspaper.

Sunday’s Celebration To Open Museum

A large crowd is expected at the City Park Sunday when the Rockport Park Improvement Association is scheduled to formally open the new museum at the Lincoln Village.

The celebration will include an all-day picnic, special activities in the village, honor to George Honig and the formal opening in the afternoon.

Festivities will get under way at 10 a. m.  Hosts at the various cabins will be dressed in pioneer costume and will represent the Woman’s Club, B. & P. W. Club, Silverdale Home Ec., D.A.R., and American Legion Auxiliary.

Admission to the Lincoln Village will be 50c for adults and 25c to school children.

A basket dinner will take place at the noon hour, after which a concert will be presented by the Rockport high school band under the supervision of Director Fred Webb.  Included in the 2:30 program will be the unveiling of a plaque in honor of George Honig who supervised the research and work in the construction of the village in 1935.  Mr. Honig will be here for Sunday’s celebration.

The $8,000 museum, built of concrete and St. Meinrad stone, is a beautiful addition to the local shrine, which has attracted over 600,000 visitors from all stated and many foreign countries.  Completely fireproof, it will house all the old relics now in possession of the county historical group in addition to other heirlooms to be donated or loaned by county citizens.

Members of the board sponsoring the event are Mayor Howard Jackson, Thomas Fortune, Paul Vititoe, Miss Helen Posey, Mrs. Bess V. Ehrmann, Hilbert Bennett, and A. H. Horstman.