Princeton Daily Democrat, April 9, 1927

Article was typed as it was worded in the newspaper.


The unveiling of the marker of the Old Fort north of Fort Branch will be held Friday afternoon April 15. A program will be given at the high school auditorium, beginning at 1:45 o'clock, after which the public will drive to the marker, located on the Federal Highway No. 41 on the Mrs. Margaret Strain's farm.

The program that will be given in the auditorium will consist of Band concert, Fort Branch Boys' Band; Invocation, Rev. Francis Wood; "Indiana," Ft. Branch High School Glee Club; "History of Fort Branch," Mrs. Anna Patten Lockwood; "America," Audience; address, Dr. W. P. Dearing, president of Oakland City College and a representative of the State Historical Board; "Star Spangled Banner," Ft. Branch Boys' Band.

Program at marker: Selection, Ft. Branch Boys' Band; "Markers and Their Significance," Rev. Edwin F. Shake; Poem, Mrs. Anna Patten Lockwood; Unveiling of marker by Jack Stewart, direct descendant of pioneer owner of the land on which the fort was located and Gary Genung, direct descendant of the present owners of the land, Mrs. Margaret Strain and Al Strain of Princeton.

The marker is of Bedford limestone and bears a bronze tablet, made by Mr. Honig of Evansville, on which a relief of the old fort with the following inscription: "Old Fort, Built (2200 feet west of here) by Pioneers as protection against Indian attacks. LaGrange was renamed Fort Branch March 11, 1856. Erected by Ft. Branch Community Club 1927."

The marker is located on the National Highway No. 41 which was the old Indian Trail from Vincennes to Evansville. The construction work was done by Polk, Genung, Polk Co. of Fort Branch and the stone masonry was done by Clemens of Princeton.

A metal box containing papers of historic value is enclosed in the marker.

The committee from Fort Branch Community Club who had charge of the plans for designing and erecting the marker was as follows: Mrs. William Polk, Mrs. Louis Rothert, Mrs. John DeLong and Mrs. Homer Genung assisted by Mrs. E. J. Hemmer, president of the club.

The program committee: Mrs. H. P. Klein, Mrs. S. R. Lockwood, Mrs. Anna Walters, Mrs. Carl Harmeyer, Rev. Edwin F. Shake, Dr. J. A. Brumfield, Mr. Mat Knowles and Lute Onyett.

This is the first historical marker of this nature to be erected in Gibson county and an invitation is extended to all neighboring towns to attend the program.