Ft. Branch Clarion-News, April 9, 1927

Article was typed as it was worded in the newspaper.





(Special to the Clarion-News)

FT. BRANCH, Ind., April 9.-- A marker at the site of the old fort north of Ft. Branch will be unveiled next Friday afternoon.

A program will be given at the high school auditorium, beginning at 1:45 o'clock, after which the public will drive to the marker, located on National Highway 41 on the farm of Mrs. Margaret Strain.

The program which will be given in the auditorium will consist of: 1:45 to 2 o'clock, concert by the Ft. Branch boys' band; invocation, Rev. Francis Wood; "Indiana," Ft. Branch high school glee club; "History of Ft. Branch," Mrs. Anna Patten Lockwood; "America," audience; address, Dr. W. P. Dearing, president of Oakland City college, and a representative of the state historical board; "Star Spangled Banner," band.

Program at Marker

The program at the marker will consist of a selection by the band; "Markers and Their Significance," Rev. Edwin F. Shake; poem, Mrs. Anna Patten Lockwood; unveiling of the marker by Jack Stewart, direct descendant of the pioneer owner of the land on which the fort was located, and Gary Genung, descendant of the present owners of the land, Mrs. Margaret Strain and Al Strain, of Princeton.

The marker is of Bedford limestone and bears a bronze tablet made by Mr. Honig, of Evansville, on which is a relief of the old fort with the following inscription:

Old Fort
Built (2200 Feet West of Here) By
Pioneers as Protection Against
Indian Attacks
LaGrange Was Renamed Ft. Branch
March 11, 1856
Erected by Ft. Branch Community Club

The construction work was done by Polk-Genung-Polk company of Ft. Branch, and the stone work was done by C. P. Clemens, of Princeton.

On Old Indian Trail

The marker is located on road 41 which was the old Indian trail from Vincennes to Evansville.

A metal box containing papers of historical value was enclosed in the marker.

The committee from the Ft. Branch Community club, which had charge of the plans for designing and erecting the marker, was Mrs. William Polk, Mrs. Louis Rothert, Mrs. John DeLong, Mrs. Homer Genung and Mrs. E. J. Hemmer, president of the club.

The program committee is Mrs. H. P. Klein, Mrs. S. R. Lockwood, Mrs. William Walters, Mrs. Carl Harmeyer, Rev. Edwin F. Shake, Dr. J. A. Brumfield, M. M. Knowles and Lute Onyett.

This is the first historical marker of that nature to be erected in Gibson county and an invitation is extended to all neighboring towns to attend the ceremony.